Beet and Brown Rice Salad
from Farmer John's Cookbook by John Peterson
4 cups cooked brown rice
1 large or 2 smaller beets, grated (2-3 cups)
1 cup arame seaweed
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 3)
1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup brown rice vinegar
1 tbsp Umeboshi vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1. Put the rice and beets in a big bowl. In another bowl, soak the Arame seaweed for 15 minutes.
2. Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat, 3-5 minutes; make sure they don't burn.
3. Boil the seaweed (undrained) for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
4. Mix the scallions, sesame oil, brown rice vinegar, umeboshi vinegar, and garlic in a jar, and shake well. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Drain seaweed, add to beets and rice, toss. Add dressing and toss.
6. Chill 1 hour or overnight.
Dan's note: pretty good. You really taste the sesame, so it's important. Toasting them is good. The type of seaweed is important- I substituted a different kind, and it got all mushy and weird. Also, I just used rice vinegar for all the vinegar, and it was fine.