(Indonesian vegetables in coconut curry)
Yield: 4-6 servings
INGREDIENTS PREP AMOUNT
3 Tbsp oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp galangal or fresh ginger, minced
1-3 chili peppers, sliced
1 piece lemongrass, white part of stalk only, minced
1 tsp coriander seed, ground
1/2 tsp turmeric
Coconut milk 2 cups
1 potato, peeled, diced
1 carrot, peeled, sliced into rounds
1 cup green beans
1 onion thinly sliced
1 cup chinese or Napa cabbage, chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped in 1" pieces
Salt & pepper, to taste
Basic Steps: Stir Fry ? Boil ? Simmer ? Season
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok over medium flame. Stir fry first set of ingredients 2-3 minutes.
2. Add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, green beans and onions. Lower heat and cover. Simmer till potatoes are almost cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove cover and add cabbage, scallions and salt and pepper. Simmer just till cabbage is tender, about 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve.
* You can substitute other vegetables if you like, just add the sturdier, longer cooking vegetables first and the more delicate vegetables in the second simmering. This prevents over or undercooking.
* Add some cubed tofu or some shrimp with the cabbage and scallions if you like.
* This dish is also popular in Malaysia.
Dan's notes: All right, but kind of watery and bland. Might help to add some more flavorings (like cloves/bay leaf). Can't simmer longer, though, because the vegetables will get all soft.