(Indonesian sweet potato puffs)
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 lb. Sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tbsp brown or palm sugar
1 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
1. Boil sweet potatoes in water to cover until cooked all the way through, 8-12 minutes.
2. Drain sweet potatoes. Mash or put through a ricer. Return potatoes to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat for 5-6 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mass begins to dry out. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Beat in remaining ingredients except oil till smooth. Add more flour if batter seems too moist.
4. Heat oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 350 - 360°. Drop large spoonsful of batter into oil. Brown well on both sides, turning occasionally. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
5. Serve with a sambal or sriracha chile sauce.
* The second reheating and cooking of the sweet potatoes is necessary to dry them out somewhat and make sure the batter will not be too moist.
Dan's notes: I didn't turn the batter in the deep fryer, and it stuck to the basket. Hmm. Also, it seemed to need a whole lot more flour than 1/4 cup; it was still pretty soupy at 1/4 cup.