Mushroom and Spinach stuffed peppers
From Farmer John's Cookbook by John Peterson
4 quarts water
4 bell peppers, tops sliced off, seeds removed, flesh around the stem saved and chopped
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup butter, divided
1 large onion, minced, divided
1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
1 cup finely diced celery (~2 ribs)
1/4 cup finely diced carrots (~1 carrot)
1/4 cup fresh or frozen corn (~1 ear)
1 large handful spinach, chopped
1 tsp minced fresh ginger (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, diced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided, plus more to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Boil water in a big pot, add peppers and 1 tbsp salt. Cook until almost soft, 3-4 minutes. Remove from water, drain in a colander (Dan's note: douse in cold water to stop cooking), let cool. Save cooking water.
3. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a skillet, add half of the onions, saute ~5 minutes. Add rice, cook about 10 minutes until it gets golden. Add 3 cups of the peppers cooking water, boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
4. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a big skillet, add pepper tops, onions, mushrooms, celery, corn, spinach, ginger, garlic, cayenne, and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Salt to taste.
5. Combine rice and vegetables, add tomato and half the cheese, season with pepper.
6. Fill peppers, add cheese, add the rest of the filling on the side. Bake about 20 minutes.
Dan's note: pretty good, but still not too flavorful. A lot of cheese helps.