(Indonesian batter-fried bananas)
Yield: 4-6 servings
6 ripe bananas, peeled, cut in two pieces
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep frying
1. Mix flours, baking powder and salt well in a bowl. Beat in coconut milk, water and egg until batter is smooth. Let batter rest from 15 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Heat oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer to between 350° and 375°. Using a fork, dip bananas in batter to cover. Let excess drain off and deep fry, turning, until well browned. Drain on paper towels and serve.
* Substitute coconut milk for half the water if you like.
* Use 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and eliminate the rice flour if you like. But the rice flour adds a crispness that will be missing.
* The fritters are excellent served with ice cream and drizzled with honey. You can also serve them in a dish with a little coconut cream.
Dan's notes: I used plantains. They were awesome. Best when they're still a little yellow-green, so they're not soft. I tried it with ripe bananas and they became one icky fried mass. Maybe a little less liquid in the batter.