(Indonesian cucumber pickle)
Yield: 4-6 servings
1/2 Onion sliced thinly
1 Chili pepper slit down the side
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
3-4 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cucumber, sliced into 1/4" rounds
1. Bring first set of ingredients to a boil in a saucepan.
2. Place cucumber in a heat-proof jar or bowl. Pour boiling liquid over to cover.
3. Cover the container and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours to allow flavors to meld.
* Cucumber can be peeled, seeded and sliced into half moons if you like.
* Add 2-3 whole cloves for extra flavor.
Pronounced "aCHAR kehTEEmoon". Serve as a side dish for grilled foods, especially satay ayam.
Dan's notes: simple and good.