Baked Cucumbers in Basil Cream
From Farmer John's Cookbook by John Peterson
1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
4-5 cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1 inch slices
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix vinegar, salt, and sugar; add cucumber slices and toss to combine. Let them marinate for about 30 minutes.
3. Drain cucumber slices in a colander, dry with a towel.
4. Put cucumber slices in a dish, cover with the butter and scallion, toss to combine. Bake, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 45 minutes.
5. Heat cream in a small pot until it boils a little bit. Cook, stirring frequently, until it reduces by half. Stir in the basil, turn off the heat, steep 2 minutes.
6. Pour the cream over the cucumbers, season with salt and pepper.