A bunch of pumpkin or other winter squash
Dried hot peppers
Coriander (it's cooling, it balances the hot spices)
Ghee or oil
1. Heat ghee/oil. Add kari leaves, hot peppers, and ginger.
2. Add fenugreek, asafoetida, coriander, and turmeric (after the ginger, otherwise it'll burn quickly).
3. Add pumpkin chunks, cover and roast dry for a while.
4. Add salt and cook more. (salt draws out the water, so after you add salt, it'll begin steaming, not roasting.)
5. Add some other stuff that I missed when she was giving instructions.
Source: Mandakini at the Santosh Puri Ashram, Haridwar, India