Lentil and Rhubarb Stew With Indian Spices
* 3 or 4 stalks rhubarb, strings removed, chopped
* 1 cup orange lentils, well washed (any lentils work but orange ones cook quickly)
* 2 tablespoons minced ginger
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 4 cardamom pods
* 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
* 2 cloves
* 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
* 1 dried ancho or other mild chili, optional
* Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
Combine rhubarb and lentil in a pan, add water to cover by about 1 inch. Simmer until quite soft, 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another pan, saute in oil the ginger, garlic, cardamom, mustard seeds, cloves, pepper, and chili. When the mustard seeds start popping all over the place, add this stuff to the rhubarb/lentils. Add salt, garnish with cilantro, serve.
Dan's note: Mark Bittman says you can add other vegetables, but don't add super-flavorful ones like turnips or beets because they overpower the flavor.
Source: Mark Bittman, http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/recipe-of-the-day-lentil-and-rhubarb-stew-with-indian-spices/